About Kenya Library Association
Prof. Peter Gatiti
Message from the KLA President
I am delighted and honored to be elected president of the Kenya Library Association (KLA). It is a great opportunity as I join my professional colleagues in leading the association and making an impact in the information sector.
The Kenya Library Association has achieved great milestones over the years and has laid the groundwork for taking the profession to the next level. As the incoming Chairperson, I will work with my team to fast-track the establishment of the Kenya Library Association Bill. In addition, we shall develop a continuous professional development framework for Librarians and work towards modelling best practices for libraries in Kenya.
I challenge fellow librarians to partner with other colleagues and align the research agenda with immerging themes such as Sustainable Development Goals, competency-based curriculum, climate change, and mental health, among other areas. We shall explore these themes further during the conferences the association will be organising.
I would like to thank the outcoming team for their commitment and call upon the incoming team to embrace the spirit of servant leadership. As we face an uncertain future, I am committed to working with all the members to strengthen the association and, particularly, support early-career librarians.
Welcome to KLA, and let's make a difference!
- Kenya Library Association strives to become a leading professional body for librarians, information specialists, and knowledge managers in Eastern Africa.
- To organize, unite and represent professionals concerned with information work in Kenya in accordance with international professional standards.
- To promote growth, development and professional integrity of its members.
- Set, maintain, monitor and promote standards of excellence in the creation, management and exploitation of information and knowledge resources.
Objectives of KLA
- To provide a forum for communication and cooperation between information professionals and institutional members, at local, national, regional and international level.
- Lobby with the government to formulate and enact policies that will promote access to information.
- Ensure that all levels of the society have access to information for individual growth and national development.
- Provide information to support government priority initiatives in poverty eradication, education, HIV/AIDS, ICT, etc.
- Promote development and sustenance of a reading culture and the creation of a knowledge society, that would enhance socio-economic development in Kenya.
- Liaise with key stakeholders in the development of a school library network in Kenya.
- Promote professional competencies for improved socio-economic development of the nation.
- Encourage and support efforts in integration of information and communications technology (ICT) in libraries, and the national information infrastructure.
- Facilitate the development of professional competencies for a market economy in Kenya.
2024 KLA conference registration ongoing
KLA Conference 2022
KLA conference held at Machakos gardens hotel from 6th – 9th Dec 2022.
Theme: Revitalizing the libraries and information centres in the android society and beyond